AT A GLANCE
- Apple in Fall 2020 will reveal new iPhones, and this mustering features all of the people that we’ve heard about the upcoming devices so far. iPhone 12
- Four iPhones
- New design
- 5.4″, 6.7″, and 6.1″ sizes
- Triple-lens 3D camera
- All OLED displays
- 5G connectivity
- A14 chip
- $649 starting price
Apple’s 2020 iPhone 12 Lineup:
Apple is held a digital event on Tuesday, September 15, but rumors recommend that the event will focus on the Apple Watch and iPads rather than the iPhone, with new iPhone models to instead be introduced in October.
Apple’s iPhone naming plans have been confused ever since the iPhone 8 debut alongside the iPhone X in 2017, skipping the iPhone 9 entirely. Apple continued on with the confusing name scheme in 2018 with the iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR, but things became clearer in 2019 with the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max.
Apple previously did numerical increases and then an “S” year, but because the changes expected in 2020 are so significant, it’s unlikely that we’re going to get an iPhone 11S or similar, and much more like that we’re going to see an iPhone 12.
If the lower-end followup to the iPhone 11 is named the iPhone 12 (which is what we’ll be calling it), then we can expect the two good devices that are launching in 2020 to be the iPhone 12 Pro and the iPhone 12 Pro Max. Below are the names that Apple has used since the iPhone first launch in 2007:
- 2007 – iPhones
- 2008 – iPhones 3G
- 2009 – iPhones 3GS
- 2010 – iPhones 4 (new design)
- 2011 – iPhones 4s
- 2012 – iPhones 5 (new design)
- 2013 – iPhones 5s and iPhone 5c
- 2014 – iPhones 6 and iPhone 6 Plus (new design)
- 2015 – iPhones 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
- 2016 – iPhones 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- 2017 – iPhones 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X (new design)
- 2018 – iPhones XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max
- 2019 – iPhones 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max
Of course, until the new devices are released, there are no confirmations that these new devices are set to be called the iPhone 12, 12 Pro, and 12 Pro Max, but it’s the guess that makes the most sense at this time.
Size Options (iPhone12)
Apple will offer four iPhones in three different sizes, with Apple will introducing new sizes for the first time in a few years.
So far, rumors indication, we’ll see a 5.4-inch iPhone, a 6.7-inch iPhone, and two 6.1-inch iPhones. 5.4 inches will smaller than the current iPhone 11 Pro, while 6.7 inches is bigger than the current iPhone 11 Pro Max. Also, the 5.4-inch device will be close to identical in size to the iPhone 8.
One 6.1-inch model and the 6.7-inch mock-up will be good “Pro” iPhones, while the other 6.1-inch iPhone and the 5.4-inch iPhone will be lower-end but good models and successors to the iPhone 11. The higher-end iPhones will feature newer camera systems with triple-lens setup, while the lower-end iPhones will feature dual-lens camera setups.
Try the 5.4-Inch (iPhone12)
We designed images that let iPhone owners who have a good-display iPhone visualize the size of the upcoming 5.4-inch iPhone. The 5.4-inch iPhone will be the smallest iPhone that Apple has released in last years, and should satisfy those who are looking for a smaller form factor.
The 2020 iPhones will feature a design with a metal frame that’s similar to the frame of the iPhone 4. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo says that the new iPhones will use a more complex design, and new trenching and injection molding procedures.
iPhone 12 dummy models vs. existing iPhones
The overall design, though, will similar to the iPhone 4 or iPad Pro with a squared-edged stainless steel frame between two pieces of glass. The new iPhone will feature a stainless steel frame, which will restore the current rounded stainless steel frame, and it will continue to use front and back glasses for the body of the device.
The grooving and injection mold of the metal in the frame is said to reduce the negative impact of metal shielding on the high-frequency, efficiency of the internal antenna. Kuo believes Apple will be using sapphire or tempered glass to protect the grooves in the frame. Slightly wider antenna lines are a possibility, though that has yet to be backed up by a reliable source.
A mockup of what the new iPhone 12 series could look like
Bloomberg said, at least two of the high-end iPhones Apple plans to offer in 2020 will have the new design with flat, stainless steel edges instead of curved edges, reminiscent of the designs of the iPad Pro.
Multiple people have suggested that the iPhone 12 Pro models will come in a new navy blue finish, which will replace the midnight green color that was introduced as an option for the iPhone 11 Pro. people the iPhone 12 models could come in light blue, violet, and light orange, among other colors.
Display Details (iPhone12)
Display details expected for each iPhone have leaked as, with details below:
- 5.4-inch iPhone 12 – OLED display from Samsung with Y-OCTA integrated touch. 2340 x 1080 resolution with 475 PPI.
- 6.1-inch iPhone 12 Max – OLED display from BOE/LG with a 2532 x 1170 resolution and 460 PPI.
- 6.1-inch iPhone 12 Pro – OLED display from Samsung technologies, possibly with XDR. possible, but not guaranteed on power requirements and lack of LTPO. 2532 x 1170 resolution and 460 PPI.
- 6.7-inch iPhone 12 Pro Max – OLED display from Samsung with Y-OCTA support and with XDR. ProMotion possible, but not guaranteed based on power needs and lack of LTPO. 2778 x 1284 resolutions at 458 PPI.